Monday, January 18, 2021

Wendell Berry on His Hopes for Humanity

Do not think me gentle

because I speak in praise

of gentleness, or elegant

because I honor the grace

that keeps this world. I am

a man crude as any,

gross of speech, intolerant,

stubborn, angry, full

of fits and furies. That I

may have spoken well

at times, is not natural.

A wonder is what it is.

- Wendell Berry

If you are wondering how a "Sapien Skeptic" that I am listening to an interview that has "hope" and "humanity" together in the title...  then make no mistake. 

Wendel Berry answers that question (@ ~14 mins): 

Question: I am wondering if putting faith in the people is a wise investment...?

Wendel Berry: I am not putting the faith in the people and putting my faith in some of the people. The ones who are committed. 

Another obvious insight Sapiens refuse to face: 

The aim of the industrial revolution from year one has been to replace people with technology. So it's a little contemptible to hear these people express in surprise at this late date that we have an employment problem. I don't know if there any politicians of visibility who could say that. 




We have lived our lives by the assumption that what was good for us would be good for the world.
We have been wrong. 
We must change our lives so that it will be possible to live by the contrary
the assumption, that what is good for the world will be good for us. 
And that requires that we make the
effort to know the world and learn what is good for it.

- Wendell Berry, The Long-Legged House

No comments: