Monday, February 26, 2024

Observe, Observe, Observe Perpetually - 0

The greatest of all gifts from Max. He knew so much about his surroundings without a single word spoken. It blew my mind way. 

I became his disciple to learn that skill. I got better than I was before Max was born. The onus was on me to hone it constantly. I tried and will try as humanly as possible until my last breath. 

What are some of my observations which most miss?

I will capture those here as long as I can. 

Every cell in my body tells me these observations are accurate but who knows? I might be wrong - prove it to me outside of anomalous cherry picking. 

These are statistically relevant not by sheer number of data points. They are relevant for a single person to observe data points in first person and second hand by reading. Most importantly, I have observed these consistently over decades and kind of have a Lindy Effect. 

I will also add most likely causal reasons behind those observations. The observations and causal reasons are separate entities. I am more likely to be wrong in my causal inference than observations. 

In machine learning, there is a concept called Transfer Learning. When there is not enough data to learn for one task, the model can learn from another task. Most humans suck at transfer learning. This problem is grossly underrated. 

Humans overfit or under fit constantly. 

I wrote this within four weeks of Max passing away:

No one is capable of thinking about death constantly. I see Memento Mori as a struggle between virtue and vanity. 

How to be virtuous when we all know its all vain and how to sprinkle vanity when the body feels strong and virtuous (or more complicated term for this is "catalepsis" which was coined by Martha Nussbaum -  "a condition of certainty and confidence from which nothing can dislodge us.”). 

Some days the former take the forefront and somedays the latter but most days, I hope to get a balance between both.

The trick is to have a healthy balance between virtue and vanity every moment without too much effort. 

Everything I write might be wrong & that gives me something new to learn.


No comments: