Thursday, February 9, 2012

I, Robopsychologist

In I, Robot, the blockbuster movie adapted from Asimov’s robot stories, Calvin sums up her job description by saying, “I make robots seem more human.” If I had to sum up my main goal as a robopsychologist, it would be “to make machines think and learn like humans,” and ultimately, replicate creative cognition in AI. Lofty goal? Perhaps. Possible? I believe it is. I’ll be honest, though—I haven’t always thought this way.

The main reason for my past disbelief is because most of the people working on AI discounted the input of psychology. They erroneously thought they could replicate humanity in a machine without actually understanding human psychology. Seems like a no-brainer to me: If you want to replicate human-like thinking, collaborate with someone who understands human thinking on a fundamental and psychological level, and knows how to create a lesson plan to teach it. But things are changing. The field of AI is finally, slowly starting to appreciate the important role psychology needs to play in their research


- More Here


No comments: