Saturday, February 2, 2013

Wisdom Of The Week

Last year while I was reading Susan Cain's brilliant book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, the theory of restorative niche made sense but I was able to live through it only this year.

“Restorative niche” is term for the place you go when you want to return to your true self. It can be a physical place, like the path beside the Richelieu River, or a temporal one, like the quiet breaks you plan between sales calls. It can mean canceling your social plans on the weekend before a big meeting at work, practicing yoga or meditation, or choosing e-mail over an in-person meeting. Acting out of character too long without restorative niches might lead to health and emotional issues. 

I had tooth ache, fever, cold within span of 3 weeks. I had forgotten about the power of restorative niche and kept running on that out of character treadmill. Last weekend, I forced myself to dwell in that niche and Voila! I bought back to life the person who lived for Max again. 


No comments: