Monday, March 18, 2013

Quote of the Day

  • I don’t care about someone being intelligent; any situation between people, when they are really human with each other, produces “intelligence.” 
  •  “I don’t claim my opinions are right,” or “just because I have opinions doesn’t mean I’m right.”
  • Nothing is mysterious, no human relation. Except love.
  • Being in love a pathological variant of loving. Being in love = addiction, obsession, exclusion of others, insatiable demand for presence, paralysis of other interests and activities. A disease of love, a fever (therefore exalting). One “falls” in love. But this is one disease which, if one must have it, is better to have often rather than infrequently. It’s less mad to fall in love often (less inaccurate for there are many wonderful people in the world) than only two or three times in one’s life.
Excerpts from Susan Sontag's book As Consciousness Is Harnessed to Flesh: Journals and Notebooks, 1964-1980 (redux)


No comments: