Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Yuval Harari on “Fake News”



Dan Ariely: I want talk a little bit about honesty. Fake news. I noticed in the Hebrew edition of the book, there was chapter that the headline was Something True: Why We Don’t Want to Know the Truth or something like that, and that chapter was gone…

But if you think about this new relationship we have with the truth in the last few months, do you think that that’s a significant change? I look at this and I’m horrified, but maybe I’m looking too shortly. Maybe in the long term it doesn’t matter. I need some control.

Yuval Harari: I’ll say this. This whole thing of fake news and lies being spread, it’s terrible, but there’s absolutely nothing new about it. I mean, this is the era of false truth. I would like to know when was the era of truth? I missed it. I missed the party. Was it the 1980’s? Was it the 1930’s? Was it the Middle Ages? When was the era of truth? I don’t think there is anything in the fake news of today that Joseph Goebbels, the minister of Nazi propaganda would have found unfamiliar. Fake news has been with us for thousands of years. Just think of the Bible.


In American courtrooms people swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth with their hand on a Bible.

- More Here

No comments: