Friday, September 11, 2009

What made me turn off the TV?

It’s amazing how a simple, powerful "cognitive surplus" speech by Clay Shirky made me stop watching TV. (actually it was more like a slap on my face)
It's been over a year since I reduced my time in front of the idiot box.  Well, to sum up changes it bought:
  1. I am glad, I don't hear the opinion of over paid men wearing makeup and going through their mid life crisis. (Mid life crisis in 60's, uh? but remember they have their makeup on)
  2. My mirror neurons don't get affected anymore by the constant screaming and complaining of these men (& women). (I believe they scream after having $120 Ruth Steak House dinner and washing it down with $100 wine.)
  3. I get to spend most of evenings (and weekends) outside, walking, working out, meeting people and just getting all the fresh air.
  4. No more solving murders constantly with each episode.
  5. Sitcoms, seriously makes people think being dumb is "cool" and I rest my case here.
  6. Left me lots of time to catch up on reading.
  7. Don't get me started on reality TV.
  8. It gave me a satisfaction of "voting with my $$" - advertisements don't emote me anymore.
  9. In a nut shell it made me more happy and ironically more informed.

I still watch some TV - Lost, House and Monk are the favorites (two of them in their final season!!) , some news depending on if I need any visuals and sometimes random surfing of channels, hey old habits die hard.
Between Max prefers me watching TV instead of computer. The catch is watching TV lets me multi task a.k.a playing with him.

No comments: