Thursday, September 2, 2010

I Also Rise

"I have been used, abused, mistreated, and even overheated, but still I also rise
I have been denied, compromised, and even ostracized, but yet I still also rise
I have been called outdated, jaded, and mutilated, but here I still also rise
I have been hated, mentally castrated, looted, and even been uprooted, but still I also rise

I have been scorned, adorned, and reborn, but yet I still also rise
I have been beaten up, beaten down, and almost ended up underground but yet I also still rise
I have been cheated on, crapped on, and walked on but yet I still also rise
I have been treat as a fool, used as a tool, treated so cruel, but yet I still seem to also rise

I have been neglected, disrespected, rejected, and yes I also rise
I have been a token, my heart has broken, I’ve misspoken, and I still also rise
I have been accused, bruised, refused, confused, and even reused, but I still also rise
I have been pushed to the side, kicked in the backside, been steamed dried, and yes I even cried, but yet I still also rise

I have been slapped in the face, can’t return to my birthplace, entered foreign airspace, and felt a woman’s warm embrace, yet I still also rise
I have been the victim of oppression, obsession, the recession, and a downward transgression but here I still also rise
I have been battered, life shattered, lost everything that mattered, yet I still also rise
I have felt the hurt, treated like dirt, forgetting to stay alert, and for all that it is worth I still will also rise "
-Wilfred Mellers

No comments: