Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Best Book of 2011

How to Live: A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at An Answer by Sarah Backwell. Call it confirmation bias or self-deception but like every Montaigne reader, I found myself in his words. Montaigne's life gave that assertion that I wasn't deluding myself on how Max changed my whole word apart... period.

"Perhaps some of the credit for Montaigne's last answer should therefore go to his cat - a specific sixteenth century individual, who had a rather pleasant life on a country estate with a doting master and not to much competition for his attention. She was the one who, by wanting to play with Montaigne at an inconvenient moment, reminded him what what is was to be alive. They looked at each other, and just for moment, he leaped across the gap in order to see himself through her eyes. Out of that moment - and countless others like it - came his whole philosophy."

and how can I ever forget these words...

Let life be its own answer: Life should be an aim unto itself, a purpose unto itself
.




No comments: