Thursday, September 15, 2022

A Friendship With Uncertainty

You might think of consciousness as a lamp, making a cone of light on the surface of a desk. Outside the yellow circle everything is dark and unknown. The usual way of approaching things is to try to extend the yellow circle into the darkness. Or perhaps to drag objects in from the dark. That is conceivable. This meditation takes things the other way. Here you depend on what is unknown and inconceivable to sustain you. The inconceivable is the source of all that comes into being. This meditation is not about making what is unknown, known. Instead it is an exercise in relying on and making friends with the inconceivable.

Bring Me the Rhinoceros and other Zen Koans to Bring You Joy by John Tarrant

What a simple but profound thought and practice! 

From May 21st 2006, I adored Max knowing this day on September 15th 2022 would come when I would have to breathe and continue living without him. It was unknown and inconceivable - how I would live on without Max. 

Max with all his Max-ness and in a ridiculously simple way showed me how to make friends with that moment in future. 

Max's ridiculously simple way was to live life in that moment by cherishing the miracle of Max and I being together. The fact that two random living beings, Max and I were together was and is still inconceivable in any damn cosmic sense than death, destruction, pain and suffering. 

Think of this way - life is going to bring me death, destruction, pain and suffering before I kick the bucket. 

There is no way I will have any more moments with Max. It is inconceivable. 

And I close my eyes. My friend Uncertainty smiles and I am with Max. 

Ad infinitum. 


No comments: