Thursday, November 17, 2022

FDA Approves UPSIDE Foods Cultivated Meat!

The dream come true news came yesterday ! 

In a major first for the food industry, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has declared that a lab-grown chicken product developed by California food-tech startup Upside Foods is safe for human consumption, setting the stage for a new food revolution in which the world’s meat is grown in bioreactors instead of on factory farms.

[---]

“This is a watershed moment in the history of food,” said Dr. Uma Valeti, CEO and Founder of UPSIDE Foods, in a statement “We started UPSIDE amid a world full of skeptics, and today, we’ve made history again as the first company to receive a ‘No Questions’ letter from the FDA for cultivated meat. This milestone marks a major step towards a new era in meat production.”

Congrats Uma Valeti for everything you did and doing for animals. You are one the handful of humans I salute and respect. 

I am happy but clearly, I am down playing my excitement. 

I have been wrong over the years when I was optimistic and I have been wrong also when I was pessimistic. 

Leave alone predicting what happens in the future in this complex system. 

My down playing comes from my past learnings of how humans have immense capacity to mess up. 

I have heard people say "yuck" to cultivated meat while happily devouring chicken living horribly and dying in their own poop. Good news: these people have a shelf life and will be gone by the end of this century or earlier. 

This is a huge moment for future animals. I will not be around to see your happy lives; the good news is neither would all the humans you treated you horribly over the centuries. 

Max and I will be celebrating your lives for the rest of time. 


No comments: