Sunday, July 18, 2010

Among All Lovely Things My Love Had Been

"Among all lovely things my Love had been;
Had noted well the stars, all flowers that grew
About her home; but she had never seen
A glow-worm, never one, and this I knew.
 While riding near her home one stormy night
 A single glow-worm did I chance to espy;
 I gave a fervent welcome to the sight,
 And from my horse I leapt; great joy had I.

 Upon a leaf the glow-worm did I lay,
 To bear it with me through the stormy night:               
 And, as before, it shone without dismay;
 Albeit putting forth a fainter light.

 When to the dwelling of my Love I came,
 I went into the orchard quietly;
 And left the glow-worm, blessing it by name,
 Laid safely by itself, beneath a tree.

 The whole next day, I hoped, and hoped with fear;
 At night the glow-worm shone beneath the tree;
 I led my Lucy to the spot, "Look here,"
 Oh! joy it was for her, and joy for me!"

-William Wordsworth

No comments: