Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Pain and Suffering

Pain and SufferingSuffering is mostly self-induced while pain is a fact of life. Some believe we are here because it's gift and some believe of it's curse. Some swear few flickering special moments in time is happiness and some think lack of suffering is happiness. Some believe in God and some believe we are mere chemicals. Some find a purpose to carry on and some give in. Some like to live on the edge for the thrill and some go into a shell of introspection. Some build a family and some live lonely. Some comprise and some wait for truth. Some flourish only in the past and some long for the future. Some prove we are social creatures with oozing empathy and some define us as self-centered creatures filled with selfish genes.  Some live to live a mark and some live to live a scar. Some find the meaning too late, only to dwell in "could have been" and others find the meaning too early, only to dwell in "what if". Some say its important to ask these question and some think it's stupid to ask these questions. Some learn all this with experience and some learn from others. Some think of all this and some are oblivious. May be, the accumulations of all these "some's" makes us diverse and also divides us. May be, there is no right or wrong answer. May be, there is no question at all.

One way or other we all live in a cocoon of self-fulling prophecy influenced by genes, society, nurture, religion, culture and what not. Is it possible to get out of it? Even if we did, isn't it probably jumping from one cocoon to another? I don't know if Max thinks about all this but I do know pain and suffering is part of him too. I anthropomorphize his happy face as smile but his real smile is wagging tail. I have seen him in pain but never seen a tear in his eyes. Is that a gift? It's takes a lot to make him unhappy but happiness comes to him seamlessly like breathing. There is so much beauty in that simplicity. I wish I was him, I wish I had his attitude, I wish I had his happiness, I wish I had his joy for living and I wish I have his lifespan. To paraphrase Darwin, there is grandeur in Max's way of life. 

No comments: