Sunday, March 27, 2011

What I've been Reading

The Social Animal: The Hidden Sources of Love, Character, and Achievement by David Brooks. 


"The effect of this first phase of learning seemed to be get the learner involved, captivated, hooked, and to get the learner to need and want more information and expertise."-Benjamin Bloom


That quote from the book is relevant irrespective of age. We all can get hooked to that dopamine driven quest for knowledge and learn to see the world with wonder. I have learned so much from Brooks so this book has been one of many on-going lessons from him. I wish, I had a teacher like him when I was young but it's never too late.
But wish he had stressed more on the teaching the emotions in the book (like in the below talk) because most people already believe only in gut feelings (especially the anti-science brigade). I fear, they will misinterpret the message in the book. I wish, he stressed on that famous rehearsal loop - "In order to decide, judge; in order to judge, reason; in order to reason, decide (what to reason about)." 


p.s: we get see flashes of Brooks's alter-ego in Harold. I also wonder why Marc Hauser wasn't acknowledged for inputs. 


No comments: