Saturday, May 28, 2011

Profile Of Tyler Cowen

Fantastic profile of Cowen on Bloomberg - a must read. All these years I missed seeing my favorite Lieutenant Columbo in Tyler Cowen!!

"Tyler Cowen is a pragmatic kind of libertarian: He’s for free markets, but he doesn’t get all huffy about it.


“I write books to solve problems for myself,” he says, “to figure things out. Things bug me, in a Lieutenant Columbo sort of way.”

This is the part I get jealous of Cowen... The gift of getting paid to talk about ideas sans that ubiquitous small talk:

"Harvard or Massachusetts Institute of Technology, ranked first and second by U.S. News & World Report, wouldn’t need this strategy, but it’s starting to pay off at George Mason. The economists at GMU, he says, have been getting offers elsewhere and turning them down. They like each other too much. (Caplan has said this, too.)


“You get to talk about ideas the whole time,” says Cowen, “not about local politics or the real estate market, not about sports. You get to talk about ideas, from one second on to the end of the conversation.”

No comments: