Friday, July 20, 2012

Building A Better RoboCop

Brilliant post by Voytek on the 25th anniversary of Robocop. Check it out - Voytek summarizes most of neuro-scientific and AI leaps since the first Robocop.

This past weekend was also my 15th (or so) year attending Comic-Con. In a row. Because I didn't get to hear about the new RoboCop remake starring Gary Oldman, Samuel L. Jackson, and Hugh Laurie, I decided to celebrate this nerdistry my own way: by talking way to much and overthinking a plate of beans.

This is me priming myself to thinking about wild ways of designing brain-computer interfaces (BCI) for my new research projects.

Thus, I've decided to take a modern neuroscientific look at RoboCop. Given the huge technological advances in the 25 years since Peter Weller, Miguel Ferrer, and Red Kurtwood Smith, I believe that RoboCop would be much cooler now.

So let's play with some probably very unethical human and cognitive enhancement possibilites, shall we?"


No comments: