Sunday, June 2, 2013

The 24 Best Things Montaigne Ever Said

  • A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.
  • The soul which has no fixed purpose in life is lost; to be everywhere, is to be nowhere.
  • There is no conversation more boring than the one where everybody agrees.
  • My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.
  • Not being able to govern events, I govern myself.
  • Of all our infirmities, the most savage is to despise our being.
  • One may be humble out of pride.
  • The most certain sign of wisdom is cheerfulness.
  • The public weal requires that men should betray, and lie, and massacre.
  • If there is such a thing as a good marriage, it is because it resembles friendship rather than love.
  • If you don’t know how to die, don’t worry. Nature will tell you what to do on the spot, fully and adequately. She will do this job perfectly for you; don’t bother your head about it.
  • It is a monstrous thing that I will say, but I will say it all the same: I find in many things more restraint and order in my morals than in my opinions, and my lust less depraved than my reason.
  • Marriage is like a cage; one sees the birds outside desperate to get in, and those inside equally desperate to get out.
  • I have never seen a greater monster or miracle in the world than myself.
  • I know well what I am fleeing from but not what I am in search of.
  • If ordinary people complain that I speak too much of myself, I complain that they do not even think of themselves.
  • I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly.
  • I put forward formless and unresolved notions, as do those who publish doubtful questions to debate in the schools, not to establish the truth but to seek it.
  • I quote others only in order the better to express myself.
  • When I play with my cat, who knows whether she is not amusing herself with me more than I with her.
  • Wit is a dangerous weapon, even to the possessor, if he knows not how to use it discreetly.
  • A good marriage would be between a blind wife and a deaf husband.
  • Ambition is not a vice of little people.
  • Fame and tranquility can never be bedfellows.
- via here


No comments: