Wednesday, March 26, 2014

I Have Inverse Mentors: People I Learnt to Not Imitate - Nassim Taleb

Who was or still is your mentor?
My maternal aunt and paternal grand-uncle. They understand collective wisdom, the type of mistakes one may regret as opposed to good mistakes. I also have inverse mentors: people I learnt to not imitate.

Ambition or talent: which matters more to success?

Both concepts are modernist nonsense. Success is about honour, feeling morally calibrated, absence of shame, not what some newspaper defines from an external metric.

How politically committed are you?

Independent, with a Burkean bent, anti-centralised state, anti-large corporations, anti-debt – so largely localist, pro-city states and green.

Do you consider your carbon footprint?

Indeed. I drive a hybrid, moving into an electric car. I only drink tap water, never consume food that’s travelled. Have been moving many lectures to teleconferencing.

In what place are you happiest?

It is atmosphere-dependent. I am happy everywhere except in places where I see glitz and rich farts. I am happiest in Brooklyn, where the concentration of rich farts is minimal.

What is the greatest achievement of your life so far?
I’ve learnt to never compromise.

Do you believe in assisted suicide?
I believe in a stoic approach to suicide as one ends life on one’s own terms. You need to control destiny. I did not come to this world to live for ever. Make room for others.

If you had to rate your satisfaction with your life so far, out of 10, what would you score?
Life is not about self-satisfaction but the satisfaction of a sense of duty. It is all or nothing. Nine out of 10 would be total failure.

- Full interview here

No comments: