Saturday, July 25, 2020

Nallathor Veenai (A Pretty Lyre)

Nallathor Veenai by Mahakavi Bharathi
After making a pretty Veena,
Does anyone throw it in the dust?

Please tell me Oh, goddess Siva Sakthi,
You have made me with,
Glowing sparks of wisdom,
Would you not give me the strength,
To live my life useful to this world?
Please tell me Oh, goddess Siva Sakthi,
Or will you let me become a burden to this earth on which I stand?

I asked you for a body,
Which can travel as it wants like a ball,
I asked you for a mind to cut off poisonous thoughts,
I asked you for a soul which is new every day,
I asked you for a tongue, which would sing,
About you, even if it is burnt,
And I asked you but for a stable mind.

I asked for a mind that cuts of desires
Do you have any objection to granting me all these?



Great poet Bharathi died in 1921; 99 years ago at a tender age of 33. This photo of his intense burning eyes with his hands on his wife's shoulder meant to be a message to the society. Women's rights were not just empty talks to him but he lived what he preached. In a country where donkeys were looked down on, he used to kiss the donkeys in the streets of India.

He lived in a society that was at least 500 years backward to his thoughts. Women's rights were just one piece of his powerful wisdom. Sir, I am privileged to live and share the same earth as you did. Thank you.

He didn't live to see his dream come true but his poems had already ignited the spark. Those lines in his poem of living with the curse of knowledge have a hidden meaning which portrays the difficulty of living in a society filled with mostly vanity. We need more Bharathi's in this generation who can sacrifice and help animals from this brutal and vicious species namely homo sapiens.

No comments: