Saturday, November 27, 2021

What I've Been Reading

If you find yourself sliding into alcoholism, compassionate friends may try to intervene, to help you steer in the direction of a healthier life but speed (busy) addiction tends to be socially celebrated. Your friends are more likely to praise you for being "driven". 

Four Thousand Weeks: Time Management for Mortals by Oliver Burkeman.

I have been reading Oliver's Guardian pieces for close to two decades and he is one of those rare decent human beings. 

Time is short. Focus only on things that matters most and ignore rest since we will never have time for all of it. Period. 

That is the summary of this book and also, summary of my life with Max (and still continuous). I am ruthless in who, where, and how of sharing my limited time. I knew from the beginning that my time with Max was limited and I wanted to spend every microsecond possible with him - after all Max and I had way lesser than four thousand weeks (less than 700 weeks to be precise). 

Oliver is a gifted writer plus this book is also his personal story with time. Please read but more importantly embrace and act on the message.

We don’t get or have time at all, that instead we are time. We’ll never get the upper hand in our relationship with the moments of our lives because we are nothing but those moments. To “master” them first entails getting outside of them, splitting off from them. But where would we go?

Time is the substance I am made of. Time is the river that sweeps me along, but I am the river; it is the tiger which destroys me, but I am the tiger; it is the fire which consumes me, but I am the fire. 

There’s no scrambling up to the safety of the riverbank when the river is you. And so insecurity and vulnerability are the default state - because in each of the moments that you inescapably are, anything could happen, from an urgent email that scuppers your plans for the morning to a bereavement that shakes your world to its foundations. 




No comments: