Thursday, July 6, 2023

Mindless Tradition, Beliefs, Rules & Choices With No Feedback Loop - Wisdom Of Cormac McCarthy

I have seen the movie a few times and I do remember that quote but yet I realized the profoundness of wisdom in those lines from No Country For Old Man. 

Thanks to John Gray for opening my eyes: 

In the Coen brothers’ 2007 film No Country for Old Men, the assassin Anton Chigurh asks his fellow hitman Carson Wells before he kills him:

 “If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?” 

A similar question can be posed to McCarthy’s humanist critics: 

if your philosophies have brought the world to its present state, of what value are your philosophies? No amount of thinking and no exercise of will can save the human animal from itself. For the intrepid literary explorer, grace in a human being means living with this truth.

For 13 years of Max's life; I was "convinced" that I gave him the right diet, exercise et al., but yet I was caught with my pants down when he got cancer. 

For me only my pants were down but for Max - he had to suffer and watching that killed me. What good were my choices for 13 years if it brought to that moment on December 20th 2019? 

I didn't become a nihilist. I understand, I had so much gap in knowledge and for the past four years, I have been trying to fill that gap and act on it so that my choices are mindful when it comes to Fluffy, Garph and Neo. 

I will drop every damn tradition, beliefs, rules, and my hardcore values if it is bad and makes no sense to stick to them. 



No comments: