Saturday, June 30, 2012

Quote of the Day

"In Carl Sagan's Contact, the main character, Ellie Arroway, is said to be modelled on you. Is that right?
Ellie Arroway is Carl. Her thoughts are Carl's thoughts, aspirations and dreams in a female character. But the experiences she had as a young person in a male-dominated field - those are experiences I had. The fact that her dad died when she was young was an important factor in shaping her career, as it was with mine. That is the most difficult way to learn this carpe diem lesson.
Before I read the book, Annie [Druyan, Sagan's wife] and Carl had me up to their house for a cocktail party. Annie said: "You may recognise someone in the book, but I think you'll like her." I said: just make sure that she doesn't eat ice cream cones for lunch, then nobody will think it's me. That was kind of a defining characteristic of mine at that time."

- Interview with Jill Tarter who is retiring as SETI cheif


 

No comments: