Sunday, January 13, 2013

Quote of the Day

With my reputation as the human dustbin, the young people in my extended family are always giving me meat and other food because it's a bit past its date stamp. "We know you'll eat it, Mike" and I do. It's partly a function of my temperament, but also experience. In my formative years after World War II when rationing persisted – into the early 1950s - food was as tight, tighter even, than when Hitler was on our case.

Whereas the young people, who are always ticking me off for reactionary and outdated thinking, tend to think globally about the planet's problems, they also tend to leave all the lights on locally – and throw food into the bin locally too. As renewed austerity bites, my sense is that it's generally the old, who can remember not having much, who adapt more quickly to having less. You can see that in supermarket queues too. Don't people know it's cheaper to buy loose carrots?


Time to stand up to food waste

No comments: