The six steps to mindfulness:
- sitting in an upright posture with legs crossed and gaze lowered,
- distinguishing between naturally arising thoughts and elaborated thinking,
- minimizing the distracting quality of past and future concerns by reframing them as mental projections occurring in the present,
- using the breath as an anchor for attention during meditation,
- repeatedly counting up to 21 consecutive exhalations, and
- allowing the mind to rest naturally rather than trying to suppress the occurrence of thoughts.