Sunday, June 29, 2014

Quote of the Day

DON’T RESPOND TO IDIOTS.

TOLERATE OTHERS BEEING WRONG ON THE INTERNET ( A rationality skill that has been saving me lots of time and frustration since I learned it a few months ago)

More specific, we need a to use a set of filters before posting:
( 1 ) Do I think the other Person has decent epistemic/reasoning standarts?
( 2 ) Do I expect my post to result in a fruitful debate that will yield new insights?
( 3 ) Is there a chance that either me or the other guy will change his opinion in the course of the debate?

Arguing with idiots has the game-theoretic structure of a . Whoever gets in the last argument wins. Add to this the asymmetry that someone with low epistemic standarts can make up some nonesense argument in five minutes, while it takes you an hour to prove that it is nonsense. At which point the other guy will make up some new nonsense.

- Medivh

No comments: