Friday, February 28, 2020

Best Movie Scenes - Was It Worth It?

Sometime when I was around 31/32 years old, I fell in love in Max. I don't remember the exact moment or day but all I know is something unique happened to me that changed my mind and body.

I also knew consiciously what I was getting into. I was building a solid foundation for life long pain of losing him someday and living without him for longer than living with him. I broke one of the fundamental priciples of stoicism:
Stoic love is moderated by a sense of future loss, by the potential for betrayal, for the reality that our own feelings might change over time as well. Having accepted these basic condition, the irrationality of these powerful, biological feelings we have becomes a little more rational—and life a little more manageable.
As a matter of fact, I reveresed that princinple. Mindful of future loss, I loved him more and my time had became synonymous with our time together.

There is a beautiful lyrics from a 1960's Hindi song which I think is true for my relationship with Max.
It is a strange story, Where it starts and where it stops, What destinations are these, Niether they nor we could understand it.

[---]
 
You have become so close to someone that you went far away from everyone else. 
The question naturally comes after decade of breaking stoic pricinples, becoming far from everone else and now having to continue life without Max - Was it worth it?

I think, I already answered that question here:
I had the pleasure of immense "Moral Luck" to spend 13 years with Max. I am eternally grateful for that time. I would gladly pick any day of those 13 years to be with him in an eternal Ground Hog Day.
In the movie City of Angles, Nicholas Cage's character sums up nicely the answer to that stupid question -Was it worth it?:
I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it.


P:S:
One of the most suprising things I learned in the recent years was how much Tim Ferris's changed since his dog Molly came into his life. Tim is kind of type A personality and highly competitive guy; at cursory social level comparison - Tim and I are very different personalities (with blots of depression and stocism being the commonality between us).

Here's is Ryan Holiday asking him that as the very first question and another episode where he talks about how life could be after Molly. A reader comment's:
Hi Tim, I’ve enjoyed and leared much from your books and podcasts for three years. I’ve also enjoyed many books you recommended in your podcasts. Well, your comments about your dog Molly brought tears to my eyes. I’ve had three yellow labs over the span of 20 years. The third lab passed away only a month ago. I would give up almost everything I own to have them back with me again. 

No comments: