Saturday, December 26, 2009

Book of the year

This year for me was full of books on Neuroscience and I did read quite a diverse selection but not to the extent I want to, given the time (hate to say that) et al. It has been an educational ride but the book that struck a chord with me has nothing to do with neuroscience, Mark Rowland's - "Philosopher and the Wolf: Lessons in Love, Death, and Happiness".

Mark's relationship with his wolf Bernin was analogous to mine with Max albeit thankfully my story continues. In-fact Mark's inability to remember lot of details about Bernin, a decade since Bernin passed away was my nudge to write this blog and study the neuroscience behind fallacies of our memory. There is an immense solace to find people around the world who felt and feel the way we do and the impact it has and had on shaping who we are and who we become. Like it or not, we do act as tribes, longing for creatures with similar perspective as we do.

The love we feel for our four legged friend, knowing one day it will bound to break our heart is a conundrum especially when economics of self-interest is preached as a virtue and sadly proven right most of the time. The simple truth is a little self-interest is also hidden inside this love as well. I long to be like Max and the inability to do so makes me admire him more and for showing me the joy of living and some day he will teach me the wisdom in death, leaving me bereft of sanity and a broken heart. I know, my life will never be the same but I do have a life long obligation to preserve the innocence I inherited from him.

Someone we love the most never leave us in death since they became a part of us and part of us becomes who they were and life does flourishes in that virtual symbiosis. And there is always that life long convergence in the dreams.

No comments: