Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Mr.Borlaug, thank you for my life and good bye

Norman Borlaug, passed away on 9/12/2009 and I wasn't aware of it for 4 days. I was furious about the little coverage of his demise but that is what this man would have wanted. I am tempted to call him hero, a noble soul, father earth etc after all he has saved more lives in the history of the world than anyone else ever did. I refrain from using these words since this humble man eschews the demigod status he rightly deserves. Its going to hard to find someone like him  for a long long time.

If you don't know who Norman Borlaug is (there is no scarcity on this front), check out here, here , here , here and here. Of course that search engine based in Pal Alto, CA might help you uncover the dichotomous "legacy" (not the personality) of this man.

Direct results  of his noble efforts made sure my life would be comfortable even before I was born. Yes, life could have taken many turns without him but the fact remains the turn it took for good was because of him. I waited for two months to write about his demise but I figured no words could do justice and so instead I inherit a life long obligation of pursuing good deeds.

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance." - Robert F Kennedy speech in South Africa.

No comments: