Sunday, December 13, 2009

What I've been reading

After reading the review, the hippocampus hid memory for the urge to read this book deep inside until it popped up again when I saw the book last week in the library. Now since I have read it, I have to buy it too. There are some books which I cannot write about in few words since the essence of the book has already been assimilated into me and will be part of my cognition forever albeit I assume it will be prone to source amnesia. Thank you Alexandra Horowitz for writing such a fascinating book - Inside of a Dog:What Dogs see, smell, and know. My perceptual (and here ) quest to live the cognitive life of Max just a day is shared by her too and the book  doesn't answer that quest of mine (I didn't expect it to either).

Now that I have read this book, my PQ - "Patience Quotient" (amount of time allowed for Max to sniff around esp. in winter before I run out of patience) has increased dramatically. Hope Max doesn't take advantage of the new PQ level since I will not be reducing the PQ for rest of my life (yes my life). I stopped anthropomorphizing Max long time ago and I enjoyed watching him through his umwelt albeit with limited success. Even that limited success has been the catalyst for my metamorphosis and I cannot even begin to imagine the impact it would have if I can translate his umwelt completely. I long for it and probably will for rest of my life.

No comments: