Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Max, Frisbee, & What Undreamt Dreams May Come True

I was around 6 or 7 years old, when saw my first dog movie back in India. A movie named Digby: The Biggest Dog in the World.

I don't remember much about the movie than an abstract storyline but I do remember before the movie started, there were 10/15 mins of dog frisbee championship clips. It was mesmerizing to watch dogs run hundreds of yards and pluck frisbee out of the thin air. Their agility seemed like they were capable of flying.

There was a ritual of storytelling (and signaling) to siblings and friends every time I saw a movie (I used to see lots and lots of multi-lingual movies); I was bragging that I was able to see the dog frisbee championship and the immense agility of dogs (one has to read Swami and Friends to get an idea of how kids were although R.K.Narayan's book was based on much older time and fictional town).

Somehow, this memory of the dog frisbee championship and my bragging to my friends remained in my memory. No repetitive dreams but it was one of the oldest memories that I have from my childhood.

Little did that small kid knew not only how much of frisbee would be part of his life but also "frisbee" would be one of the most used words for the rest of his life.



I don't exactly remember when and how Max started playing frisbee (maybe it will come back to me one day). Max was one of the most amazing frisbee players I have ever seen - almost on par with those frisbee championship dogs.

Everyone in our community watched him play and even people used to stop their cars to watch him play. His agility, speed, and diving into the air were phenomenal. It was pure joy to watch him play.

He was playing frisbee until August 2019 even with cancer and months of chemo. And he was over 13 years at that point.

Max playing for the last time on August 1st, 2019



All of Max's toys and things are now packed and safe in the memory boxes except his frisbee. It's still sitting there near the kitchen sink where I used to wash it after he finished playing.

Last Sunday, I wanted to put his frisbee also into the memory box and took some pictures of the frisbee from Max's perspective while he would jump to pick up the frisbee and asking me to take him out to play.

Frisbee sitting on the kitchen sink from Max's perspective




We have done this ritual multiple times a day and thousands of times in the last 13 plus years. I miss Max, his energy and his naughty eyes with his frisbee in his mouth.

On the same day - last Sunday (04/05/2020), Neo got his first small frisbee. He was thrilled to see it and running crazy all around the house without an idea of how to use it. But he already started to understand the concept that it's not a chew toy but it's something that involves a partner that can throw to him.


Today was Neo's first day outside with his new frisbee




And just like that, the new chapter of my undreamt dreams has started to unfold. 

While taking pictures of frisbee from Max's perspective, I suddenly realized that I didn't have the heart to move his frisbee. And just like that, I decided that his frisbee is going to stay there for the rest of my life - as a constant reminder no matter how painful life is, a devasting virus,  all the cruelty and animal sufferings, no matter how mean and self-serving people are - life is still beautiful and there is no point to life without play. 

Yes, there is no point to life without play.

While Max's ashes is a constant reminder of memento mori but his frisbee will be a constant reminder for me that life can be filled with playfulness and joy even in the worst of times.

I love Max.

No comments: