Thursday, December 30, 2021

Language As A Window Into Human Nature

Steven Pinker, the cognitive phycologist used to write beautiful books full of insights. One of such books was The Stuff of Thought: Language as a Window into Human Nature

We lost that Pinker to politics and "made-up" books which fits only into bullshit category. I would love to have that classic Pinker back. 

I am very mindful of language I use since most evil people do to animals is mainly because of their choice of language (PETA tried to change it - here & here). 

Our language evolved mostly based on geography and in-turn our thoughts evolved to match our language. 

So its no wonder  that the Scots language has an incredible 421 different snow-related words and expressions.

The sad fact is we are fast losing that richness of thought as the society started generalizing words and expressions. It's pity when people use acronyms these days (such as R.I.P) which doesn't begins to convey the loss of a precious life. 

Once I spoke the language of the flowers,

Once I understood each word the caterpillar said,

Once I smiled in secret at the gossip of the starlings,

And shared a conversation with the housefly

in my bed.

Once I heard and answered all the questions

of the crickets,

And joined the crying of each falling dying

flake of snow,

Once I spoke the language of the flowers. . . .

How did it go?

How did it go?"

- Forgotten Language by Shel Silverstein


No comments: