Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Avatar redux


Pretty much everyone who can write has already written a review of Avatar and the "surprise" Chinese factor is making it more sensational. I agreed with most of  the good as well as the critical reviews. No doubt it's a phenomenal movie (not the story) and I loved it. Although it will never be one of my favorite movies, it was like walking into a dream and it was very unique experience. Ever since I watched the movie, I was breaking my head wondering what made it so special other than 3D and the technological flamboyance.

Finally this hypothesis dawned one me. This is probably the first movie which cracked the uncanny valley barrier. For instance, the romance and the mass destruction of innocents didn't emote to the extent of an quintessential classic
Hollywood usually does but it did find an anthropomorphic soft spot subsiding the stoicism (and that little harmless repulsion we express for non-anthropomorphic romance), like a balmy breeze trying to venture into an unconquered territory.

A small kiss on the silver screen but a giant leap for movie industry. (and may be this is the beginning of end of the overpaid actors)  

No comments: