Thursday, January 23, 2020

The "Why" Question

But the idea that we can rid ourselves of animal illusion is the greatest illusion of all. Meditation may give us a fresher view of things, but it cannot uncover them as they are in themselves. The lesson of evolutionary psychology and cognitive science is that we are descendants of a long lineage, only a fraction of which is human. We are far more than the traces that other humans have left in us. Our brains and spinal cords are encrypted with traces of far older worlds.

[---]
Anyone who truly wants to escape human solipsism should not seek out empty places. Instead of fleeing to desert, where they will be thrown back into their own thoughts, they will d better to seek out the company of other animals.
A zoo is a better window from which to look out of the human world than a monastery.
- John Gray, Straw Dogs: Thoughts on Humans and Other Animals

In simplistic terms - To know thyself, it is better to live with animals than meditate since meditation is probably going to confabulate our own self centered and biased thoughts.

John Gray is one contemporary philosopher (or otherwise) that I completely agree with at a fundamental level. Maybe, I have to re-read and read him more but nevertheless, he is grossly under-rated.

Why did Max and I have this bond? I am sure, if someone psychoanalyzes me enough they can find spurious correlations with my childhood, relationships, genes, and other cultural-social-economic factors.

I think the simplest answer is we both shared an ancestral past, shared a peaceful present, and we subconsciously knew about our shared future destiny.

This applies to each and every one of us.

The only credit I get is that I didn't just ruminate and ponder on this fact but lived by dedicating time and effort. Time and effort was only dedicated to Max and nothing else. Period.

In 1563, the death of his close friend Étienne de la Boétie deeply affected Montaigne.

It has been suggested by Donald M. Frame, in his introduction to The Complete Essays of Montaigne that because of Montaigne's "imperious need to communicate", after losing Étienne he began the Essais as a new "means of communication" and that "the reader takes the place of the dead friend". (source)

And Montaigne wrote a beautiful answer to this "Why" question:
"If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I."

Max and I at a cabin in Catskills during the summer of 2015



Play was the "purpose" of life for 13 plus years



Laughter was our language, Joy was our sense and Peace was our dwelling



World was beautiful with Max by the side


And We became "One"


    Colors of life might fade & perish but nothing can do us apart


                                                                                    In this ordinary life - beauty happened & wonder thrived




No comments: