Thursday, February 4, 2010

An Amazon inside us

Of-course, I am fascinated by the discovery of so many microbes inside us and it reinstates the importance of other species for who we are and who we will become. But that's the real reason behind my fascination since I understood all that from Max, Biophilia et al. The real reason is cynical. My hope is that the knowledge of our symbiosis with the microbes might turn out be the pivotal factor in decimating the human ego and revive the most endangered trait, humility.

Here's is another fascinating Carl Zimmer's 
interview with Rob Knight. Some latest insights on what microbes are capable of doing - 

  • Some of the microbes secrete the neurotransmitter Serotonin!! (does that mean we will be prone to depression if their count decreases?)
  • A decrease in bacterias called Bacteroidetes and Firmicutes living in intestine can cause obesity.
  • More on hygiene hypothesis.

I think it would be apt to address the microbes as - "you complete me".

No comments: