Saturday, February 6, 2010

A truth about blogging but

In past few weeks, two popular bloggers  called it quits. She became an overnight sensation after Thomas Friedman wrote about greenasathistle in his book. Her reason for quitting, well its kind of bland -
"All right peeps, I’ve gotta be honest with you — I kind of need to bail on this blog. There are so many green bloggers out there who are so much more willing to sit at a computer after a full day’s work and actually write something meaningful; I’m just not one of them. Out of pure selfishness (which I like to disguise as eco-friendliness), I’ve decided to put a concerted effort into unplugging myself from technology as much as possible. I already stare at a screen for eight hours a day and, to be frank, I don’t think my ramblings are worth the bandwidth."

The second part is just a blind excuse. That's the quintessential problem with self proclaimed save the world greenies. We have come long ways as a civilization, there is no need become Neanderthals to save the world. Just being informed and by conscious consumption, we can have better world without trying to be Mahatma 2.0.


Second one is an 
economist and his thoughtful adios to blogging after a year:
"I used to think I had just a few ideas, and once I used those up I’d have nothing more to say.  As you’ve noticed (sometimes painfully) that is not my problem.  I suppose it came from being a loner for several decades.  As I weighed ideas in my mind I’d go from A to B to C, and then back to A.  Even when I’d think of a different angle, I’d rarely write it down and therefore I would soon forget.  Once I started blogging I realized I had more than three ideas, and even better, my interaction with commenters kept triggering new ways of thinking about the problem.  It’s not that I have come up with any earthshaking ideas, but it allows me to keep refining the argument, continually probing at the issue from different angles.  If you’d told me last year “write 1000 pages on monetary policy,” I would have recoiled in horror.  I figured I’d do a couple dozen posts, run out of ideas, and then merely comment on current events.  I had no idea that writing is thinking.  But now here I am a year later, and my blog is 1000 pages of sprawling essays.  Yes, there’s plenty of repetition, but even if you sliced out all the filler, I bet you could find a 200 page book in there somewhere.



Still, at the current pace my blog is gradually swallowing my life.  Soon I won’t be able to get anything else done.  And I really don’t get any support from Bentley, as far as I know the higher ups don’t even know I have a blog.  So I just did 2500 hours of uncompensated labor.  I hope someone got some value out of it.  Right now I just want my life back.
But I suppose I could do one more post.
And after that, maybe one more final post wouldn’t seem so difficult.
But please don’t ask me to become a blogger.  It’d be like asking me whether I ever considered becoming a heroin addict.  Just one more post.  One day at a time. . . ."

That's the truth about blogging, its addictive and consumes time not only to think and write but also follow the stories that interesting. Having said that, isn't that true for most things in life? Watching TV, gossip, social muscle flexing et al consumes humongous time except no cognitive benefit, even if a neo-drawinist comes up with a "apt" evolutionary explanation.
Since I have been trying not to look life through the eyes of time, so no complaints on time vs blogging. I have been here for six months now and it has been one of the greatest learning experiences in my life. The self reflections which used to be processed in the depths of grey matter now comes out now in quantified words in front of me, helping me to self reflect more and may be one of these to get contradictory lesson from others. Blogging has so far been a -  memory, a substitute of memory,
synesthesia to retrieve the hidden memories, fertilizer for NGF, pesticide for dissonance, tabulation of thoughts, infection of Matthew effect, spring with surfeit of ideas which I never knew existed and a perpetual education. If I ever quit, it might be because of intellectual laziness rather than lack of time. Even Dana Jenning's blogs about his Dog and his life with cancer. 

I cannot find a better reason to blog than what Andrew, the king of blog's
wrote: "You end up writing about yourself, since you are a relatively fixed point in this constant interaction with the ideas and facts of the exterior world. And in this sense, the historic form closest to blogs is the diary. But with this difference: a diary is almost always a private matter. Its raw honesty, its dedication to marking life as it happens and remembering life as it was, makes it a terrestrial log. A few diaries are meant to be read by others, of course, just as correspondence could be—but usually posthumously, or as a way to compile facts for a more considered autobiographical rendering. But a blog, unlike a diary, is instantly public. It transforms this most personal and retrospective of forms into a painfully public and immediate one. It combines the confessional genre with the log form and exposes the author in a manner no author has ever been exposed before."

No comments: