Tuesday, February 2, 2010

What I've been reading


Language of Life: DNA and the Revolution in Personalized Medicine by Francis S Collins. It's very very informative book on genome revolution, right from the mouth of the director of human genome project. I registered at 23andme in 2008 but yet to get my genome sequenced. Honestly I don't know why I am waiting, I know I am not scared but it's that somatic marker. I will be doing it fulfill my curiosity.


Collins quotes from Matt Ridley's book Nature via Nurture:

"Genes are not puppet masters nor blueprints.Nor are they just carriers of heredity. They are active during life; they switch each other on and of; they respond to the environment. They may direct the construction of the body and brain in the womb, but then they set about dismantling and rebuilding what they have made almost at once - in response to experience. They are both cause and consequence of our actions. Somehow the adherents of the nurture side of the argument have scared themselves silly at the power and inevitability of genes, and missed the greatest lesson of all: The genes are on their side"

"As for the future, your task is not to foresee, but to enable it." - Saint-Exupery.

No doubt, learning the language of life will helps us enable our future. I have so much to write but today is Lost premier and I will update the post tomorrow. Check out this TED talk by Jamie Heywood, a great place to understand the potential of genomics.


No comments: