Monday, February 1, 2010

Mr.Salinger, it was a pleasure


No question, I was a teenage rebel. Loathed the world which didn't fit into my idealistic view. I have a sister. So in a nutshell, I had the all the essential ingredients to be a Holden Caulfield. No wonder, I fell in love with J.D.Salingers's Catcher in the Rye. This book is broke all the rules and its amazing who such a book could be part of  the curriculum (after all he made "puke" sound so cool). People have lot of theories on why they love this book. Mine is,  Salinger made me look at the moron inside me and laugh at him. In essence, it helped me keep the moron on a tight leash and thank goodness it did help me accept some stupid social norms.

I think, Salinger never got to grow out the Caulfield in him and we went into a cocoon to hide from the evil world. I don't blame him. I wish he had written lot more books but its too late now. Hope he found what he was looking for in life and now I hope, he rests in
peace. Good bye and thank you.

"Grand. There's a word I really hate. It's phony. I could puke every time I hear it."

"I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible."
The Catcher in the Rye - Holden Caulfield 

No comments: