Friday, February 26, 2010

The "Poop" Games

5 a.m +  Winter + Canine nature call instigated by a homo-sapien + Olfactory adventures of Max + Me, a furless animal + An impatient ape inside me =  A prefect recipe for disaster.

This Spy vs Spy game between us went on for past 3 winters. For starters, ever since Max was a puppy, we had a mutual agreement to separate the poop time from walking time. That worked out well but yet I tend lose cognition on a cold winter morning which never helps his bowl movements either.


Last december, after reading the book 
Inside of a Dog:What Dogs see, smell, and know, I made myself a promise to increase my "patience quotient" to tolerate his olfactory adventures. Of-course, it was much easier to write and hard to follow. I don't remember why, how and when I decided to do what I do now but I am so glad I did. One of million advantages Max's has over me is to read my thoughts (TOM) by gazing at me like a hawk (yes, he can write my autobiography better than I will ever do.). I thought breaking that gaze would create a win-win situation.

During our 5 am ventures, I decided to avoid direct eye contact with him and pretend to admire nature even with zero visibility. For the first few days he tried to look at me, come around me but I would simply put on a poker face with deep thoughts on a successful bowl movement. So far, this has been working out great. We would go out around 5 am, he would start sniffing, I would do my fake introspection and with-in 2 minutes average happiness of our home sky rockets.

I think Max does his thing quick to get my attention back. I really haven't thought about it much since I am still cherishing my newly found psychoanalytical skill !!  

The new equation for psychoanalysis of bowl movements is:
5 a.m +  Winter + Canine nature call instigated by a homo-sapien + Olfactory adventures of Max + Me, a furless animal + An impatient ape inside me + Fake introspection sans the gaze =  A prefect bowl movement. 

No comments: