Monday, February 8, 2010

What I've been reading


2009 Action Plan: Keeping Your Money Safe & Sound by Suze Orman. It's an enlightening experience reading Naseem Taleb's The Fourth Quadrant (most don't even know it exists or who he is, leave alone reading) but yet its good check the ground reality of how the "folks" are doing. A pre-requesite for democracy is informed (not polarized) citizen but well, lets us say I like to keep my blood pressure in check tonight.

I never watched Suze Orman's show but I picked up the book to check what at-least some people in this country are heeding too. I was surprised, its a very informative book. She literally spoon feeds the quintessential and common sense financial moves (handling FICO score, credit cards, mortgage, student loan, foreclosure and every other ubiquitous monetary monsters). If people don't change even after reading this, then God help mankind.

I wish people read Taleb, Tyler Cowen et al and develop basic economics knowledge (great website
Stand-Up Economist). It's fun, helps our lives and the society. It would immensely benefit society if economics be included as a part of the curriculum starting at middle school.

"People don’t change when they see the light. They change when they feel the heat. " - David Brooks

No comments: